Monday, December 03, 2007

1100 miles, no waffles, some mud & tons o fun!

this past weekend we (me, Carrie & our pal Adam) drove to Tallahassee for the second stop on the Florida state cyclocross series. We drove up Friday night and stayed at the well used la quinta inn. We vetured our way to the race venue on Saturday morning and found all the usual cross suspects were there. Adam & I gota good look at the course and understood that it was going to be a tuffy. It had many wonderful elements including; a paved uphill start/ finish, some great single track sections, some stairs to run-up, an off camber turn, super fast descents, a sand pit, and more!

My race went pretty well. I had a decent start and didn't get caught be hind any real mess ups in the first lap. I was with a couple of guys for the first two or so, and then on the third I had a slight gap on the doods behind me. Paul Kavan, who is an absolute monster was right ahead of me and I was feeling ok. I was told at be halfway, that I was in third. I knew that I didn't have a lot of ability to move up at that point but I still needed to ride clean to hold third. In the last lap, someone told me that Paul had a flat. I inmediatly gassed it to try and catch him. Well, karma kicked in, and I crashed hard into the barriers with 300 meters to go. When I went to remount, my rear wheel wouldn't move! I had the shoulder the bike and run for dear life!

Paul too was running and it became an uphill footrace to the line. Paul got in just ahead of me and then fourth place came screemin' in just behind me. It was a finish for the ages.

I'll right about our trip up to montgomery tomorrow.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Let's do it again next weekend!