Monday, October 23, 2006

Santa Rosa Island Triathlon

Hey folks, I forgot to publish my summary of the SRI TRI from a few weeks back. I finished second to National team member Brian Fleischman, who pretty much demolished the course.

I had a rough start, where my goggles were knocked loose and filled with very salty ocean water. I swam blind the whole swim and tough that I was right with Brian. Turns out he was way off the front. I had a terrible bike ride on the way out. For some reason I just had no power going out on the out-and-back bike leg of the race. After I made the turnaround though, I was firing on all cylinders and chasing guys down. I came off the bike in 5th I think, and immediately caught two guys in transition. Then I was able to run down two other guys before the turnaround point, halfway through the 5k run. I knew I couldn't make up the huge deficit to Brian so I was able to put the engine in cruise control and high five my niece Emma at the finish. It was cool! This was a good way to end the triathlon season for me. It was a great race and a blast to participate in. Check out www.sritri.org

No comments: